Bulldog Skates Message Board
Sign up  |   |   |  Calendar  |  Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
ISLANDSK8R

Registered:
Posts: 13,309
Reply with quote  #1 
Decided to strip my ol' mag of their yellow and clean em up some. I never realized how beautiful magnesium really is. sorry the pics are not so good.

Before with yelllow touched up



After being stripped and cleaned up.


Sloth

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 526
Reply with quote  #2 
Looks killer!  Did you clear coat 'em?  Raw magnesium is a bitch to keep clean.

Paul


__________________
What! No chocolate?
SK8

Registered:
Posts: 1,002
Reply with quote  #3 

J,

Care to take us through the process?


__________________
http://www.junglelandskates.com/Movies/WeDontCare.wmv
Raoulduke

Registered:
Posts: 1,766
Reply with quote  #4 
magnesium is some toxic shit.  you should wear a mask and gloves when sanding that stuff.

they would look pretty cool clearcoated.

__________________
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.
TonyB

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 14,924
Reply with quote  #5 

Wow that stripped hanger sure has some bling to it now!


__________________
[IMG_0274]  My Collection - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyb66/
skateboardpimp

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 65,561
Reply with quote  #6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoulduke
magnesium is some toxic shit.  you should wear a mask and gloves when sanding that stuff.

they would look pretty cool clearcoated.

Yeah, and if you can get it to light,it burns white-hot!


__________________
I think it's more the way they explode and do flips in the air. You just can't get that same "flip" when shooting tomato paste cans. Same explosion but...no flip.
ISLANDSK8R

Registered:
Posts: 13,309
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks bruddahs!!

@Sk8, I'm no expert on this, it was more of an experiment so I guess I did it the old fashioned way, soaked in acetone to remove the powder coat, smoothed out the deeper grinds with a Dremal tool then sanded the rest by hand starting with 100 grit taking it to 400 grit (wet). Rubbed out with rubbing coumpound then scratch remover and lastely with Brasso. I clear coated after I took the pic.

@ Raoulduke Thanks for your concern, I'll look out for signs and symptoms of
hypermagnesaemia.

@ Jlf, if I plan on doing more of this I'll look for that stuff cause it took a long ass time to do, thanks.

Yeah S.Pimp, I collected some of the dust and sprinkled it over a flame...Very cool!!!


Maybe I'll do a pair if regular aluminum ones for comparison later.

DeweyDevil

Registered:
Posts: 894
Reply with quote  #8 

The finished truck looks just like the terminator from the 2nd movie.When he was in liquid form.Sweet job!

 

KP

zenklee

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 731
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardpimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoulduke
magnesium is some toxic shit.  you should wear a mask and gloves when sanding that stuff.

they would look pretty cool clearcoated.

Yeah, and if you can get it to light,it burns white-hot!



For about 10 years in the 80's, I would join a bunch of friends out in the California desert, near California City for NewYears. Each year, a mechanic buddy would bring a Volkswagen engine block. Only certain years were magnesium (I couldn't tell you which years). After getting a big bonfire going, we'd toss in the VW engine block. It would take 15-30 minutes to catch fire and then burn blindingly bright white for ~45 minutes. Impressive to see. Stand upwind!

__________________
Zenklee in Santa Maria

"You know there ain't no devil. That's just God when he's drunk"
skateboardpimp

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 65,561
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenklee
Quote:
Originally Posted by skateboardpimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoulduke
magnesium is some toxic shit.  you should wear a mask and gloves when sanding that stuff.

they would look pretty cool clearcoated.

Yeah, and if you can get it to light,it burns white-hot!



For about 10 years in the 80's, I would join a bunch of friends out in the California desert, near California City for NewYears. Each year, a mechanic buddy would bring a Volkswagen engine block. Only certain years were magnesium (I couldn't tell you which years). After getting a big bonfire going, we'd toss in the VW engine block. It would take 15-30 minutes to catch fire and then burn blindingly bright white for ~45 minutes. Impressive to see. Stand upwind!

EXACTLY what we would do!

Except we were in Texas...

P.S. we would start our fires with a bunch of tires...Can you say black-lung?

Would spend all night drinking "Texas Pride" beer...Some times I miss living in the sticks...


__________________
I think it's more the way they explode and do flips in the air. You just can't get that same "flip" when shooting tomato paste cans. Same explosion but...no flip.
Raoulduke

Registered:
Posts: 1,766
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDSK8R
Thanks for your concern, I'll look out for signs and symptoms of hypermagnesaemia.


lol!

__________________
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.
dxtr

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 2,211
Reply with quote  #12 

Nice job...Bling is right...those are sweet...I say clearcoat 'em...would make for some nice grills too.


__________________
CC-"Wes could have lived anywhere between Santa Monica and Tokio Japan. Wes has Chosen VISTA cause he's da man."
Wes-"I'm in Oceanside Ya Dope!"
badabling

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 526
Reply with quote  #13 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLANDSK8R
Thanks bruddahs!!

@Sk8, I'm no expert on this, it was more of an experiment so I guess I did it the old fashioned way, soaked in acetone to remove the powder coat, smoothed out the deeper grinds with a Dremal tool then sanded the rest by hand starting with 100 grit taking it to 400 grit (wet). Rubbed out with rubbing coumpound then scratch remover and lastely with Brasso. I clear coated after I took the pic.

@ Raoulduke Thanks for your concern, I'll look out for signs and symptoms of
hypermagnesaemia.

@ Jlf, if I plan on doing more of this I'll look for that stuff cause it took a long ass time to do, thanks.

Yeah S.Pimp, I collected some of the dust and sprinkled it over a flame...Very cool!!!


Maybe I'll do a pair if regular aluminum ones for comparison later.

So that finish is simply with a 400 wet sand grit? Gots me a hankering for taking my sander to my trucks now. Funny thing is, I was thinking of painting my Ex-Tracks yellow!


__________________
Enjoy Life, Eat Out More Often!
ISLANDSK8R

Registered:
Posts: 13,309
Reply with quote  #14 
400 wet sand, polishing compound, scratch remover, then Brasso.
Faux_Maux

Registered:
Posts: 1,360
Reply with quote  #15 

man those look killer!... i never had a set of mags back in the day, but i managed to get my hands on a pair when they popped back up last year... they were cast years ago, but not finished until last year...

 

does anyone know the story as to why tracker stopped making mags in the 1st place?

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.