Bulldog Skates Message Board
Sign up  |   |   |  Calendar  |  Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
TonyB

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 15,119
Reply with quote  #16 
[793-EE42-D-BA44-49-B3-ABFB-E562-C366-D83-F]

[23695184-4-CAD-4943-BAAA-CF37-D9-C0-E884]

Can’t remember how long the nails were but probably 4”. Just knocked them in and cut off the heads.

__________________
[IMG_0274]  My Collection - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyb66/
geightor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 5,748
Reply with quote  #17 
not as purty but seem like they will do the trick. 4" finish nail is probably a 6 penny nail
__________________
Wes is the original wing man!
70sSkater

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 7,524
Reply with quote  #18 
I use 2 1/2" finish nails and don't bother with filing down the head of the nail.  No real need to do that with a finish nail.  I also made a template to start the nails so I can consistently get about the same angle on the nails.  The template has angled holes all the way through the board.  Then I just line the template up over the board I'm going to be using for the hanger and lightly tap in two nails a slight way.  Then I pull the nails, remove the template and hammer nails into the board at the angle set by the template.  Hammer the nails in till the tip just comes out the other side and then you have uniform length of the nails.  Then attach picture hanger to back and you're good to go.
__________________
Later is Now
Happy Daze Crew
Save the Turf!!!
300hpdavid

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 11,984
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sSkater
I use 2 1/2" finish nails and don't bother with filing down the head of the nail.  No real need to do that with a finish nail.  I also made a template to start the nails so I can consistently get about the same angle on the nails.  The template has angled holes all the way through the board.  Then I just line the template up over the board I'm going to be using for the hanger and lightly tap in two nails a slight way.  Then I pull the nails, remove the template and hammer nails into the board at the angle set by the template.  Hammer the nails in till the tip just comes out the other side and then you have uniform length of the nails.  Then attach picture hanger to back and you're good to go.

I'll take 1/2 dozen.... [tongue]

__________________
5150
Tequila; Because no good story ever started with, "I was eating a salad......"
70sSkater

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 7,524
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hpdavid

I'll take 1/2 dozen.... [tongue]


[biggrin]

I would be happy to oblige and send them to you gratis if they weren't something of a pain to make.  They're not really a big deal, but you do end up with bent nails sometimes and have to start over.  Also, I am using very small nails to attach the picture hanger on the back and it usually takes a couple tries to get them in straight.  I should get some of those small screws that Tony is using.  The small nails can pull out and fail sending your grail to the ground.  Ask me how I know. 

__________________
Later is Now
Happy Daze Crew
Save the Turf!!!
geightor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 5,748
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70sSkater


[biggrin]

I would be happy to oblige and send them to you gratis if they weren't something of a pain to make.  They're not really a big deal, but you do end up with bent nails sometimes and have to start over.  Also, I am using very small nails to attach the picture hanger on the back and it usually takes a couple tries to get them in straight.  I should get some of those small screws that Tony is using.  The small nails can pull out and fail sending your grail to the ground.  Ask me how I know. 


instead of driving the nails in and removing them try drilling with slightly smaller in diameter drill bit. for the screws I would use framing screws used for building with steel studs they are sharp as heck and you can also get them with drill  tips which make them even easier to screw into hardwood without splitting it. .  

__________________
Wes is the original wing man!
TonyB

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 15,119
Reply with quote  #22 
The nail jig is a good idea, I use a card template with the holes marked/punched through to get the correct placement for the nails and just eyeball a slight angle so boards don’t slide off, but the angle doesn’t have to be too extreme. Hanging the holder on the wall only requires one picture nail and the crocodile fixture on the back allows for any adjustment so the board is balanced and straight.

IMO hardwood is overkill, you can use a soft wood is easier to use and your not going to be looking at the hanger when done. They don’t need to be pretty they just need to work.

__________________
[IMG_0274]  My Collection - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyb66/
Bulldog

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 25,216
Reply with quote  #23 
I just saw this & was thinking a tall one for boards would Rock!

A Prisms Box?


https://livingpatriot.com/collections?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=23844433679820094&utm_campaign=23844433641240094&utm_content=23844433679810094

__________________
"We don't have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough;
we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much."
President Ronald Reagan
TonyB

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 15,119
Reply with quote  #24 
Overkill for a deck IMO. Looks like you have to take the ting apart just to access the deck, that’s a PIA.
__________________
[IMG_0274]  My Collection - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyb66/
geightor

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 5,748
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog
I just saw this & was thinking a tall one for boards would Rock!

A Prisms Box?


https://livingpatriot.com/collections?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=23844433679820094&utm_campaign=23844433641240094&utm_content=23844433679810094


Many of your boards deserve to be framed in a great display like that.  

__________________
Wes is the original wing man!
300hpdavid

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 11,984
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB
Overkill for a deck IMO. Looks like you have to take the ting apart just to access the deck, that’s a PIA.

Not for hand drawns and grails TB.  Don't even want dust on those.  And if the glass is ultra violet resistant, you don't have to worry about the ink fading.

__________________
5150
Tequila; Because no good story ever started with, "I was eating a salad......"
Bulldog

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 25,216
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hpdavid

Not for hand drawns and grails TB.  Don't even want dust on those.  And if the glass is ultra violet resistant, you don't have to worry about the ink fading.


Right or the wood getting anymore messed up on boards that have been skated, if the boards mean a lot to you & are worth big $$$ then I would toss down some $ to protect them in a display case.  They make them for all kinds of memorabilia like bats, swords, & guitars.
  



__________________
"We don't have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough;
we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much."
President Ronald Reagan
MikeInMD

Avatar / Picture

Registered:
Posts: 4,321
Reply with quote  #28 
Looked at those and they are very nice.  A more basic shadow box would also work if you're so inclined.  I don't have any decks in one, but have priced them previously and they're not unreasonably priced. And they make them big enough to hold 2 or 3 decks if you really wanted to. 
__________________
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."  Carl Sagan
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.